Top Film Quotes
- Jeremy Grey: Tattoo on the lower back? Might as well be a bullseye.
- Tom Joad: Then it don’t matter. I’ll be all around in the dark – I’ll be everywhere. Wherever you can look – wherever there’s a fight, so hungry people can eat, I’ll be there. Wherever there’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, I’ll be there. I’ll be in the way guys yell when they’re mad. I’ll be in the way kids laugh when they’re hungry and they know supper’s ready, and when the people are eatin’ the stuff they raise and livin’ in the houses they build – I’ll be there, too.
- Ma Joad: Rich fellas come up an’ they die, an’ their kids ain’t no good an’ they die out. But we keep a’comin’. We’re the people that live. They can’t wipe us out; they can’t lick us. We’ll go on forever, Pa, ’cause we’re the people.
- Ma Joad: Well, Pa, a woman can change better’n a man. A man lives sorta – well, in jerks. Baby’s born or somebody dies, and that’s a jerk. He gets a farm or loses it, and that’s a jerk. With a woman, it’s all in one flow, like a stream – little eddies and waterfalls – but the river, it goes right on. Woman looks at it thata way.
- Michael Corleone: I know it was you Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!
- Fat Ass: I’m not supposed to be here! I want to go home! I want my ma!
Another Prisoner: Yeah, I had your momma, she wasn’t that great! (Shawshank Redemption)
- Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying.
- Rick: You played it for her, you can play it for me!
- Rick: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine.
- Chief Bromden: My pop was real big. He did like he pleased. That’s why everybody worked on him. The last time I seen my father, he was blind and diseased from drinking. And every time he put the bottle to his mouth, he don’t suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs didn’t know him.
McMurphy: Killed him, huh?
Chief Bromden: I’m not saying they killed him. They just worked on him. The way they’re working on you.
- Cheswick: Rules? PISS ON YOUR FUCKING RULES!
- Hannibal Lecter: Tell me, Clarice – have the lambs stopped screaming?
- Hannibal Lecter: You still wake up sometimes, don’t you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs.
- Hannibal Lecter: Now then, tell me. What did Miggs say to you? Multiple Miggs in the next cell. He hissed at you. What did he say?
- Hannibal Lecter: A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
- Clarence: Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?
- Clarence: Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.
- Lester Burnham: Remember those posters that said, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"? Well, that’s true of every day but one – the day you die. (American Beauty)
- Kurtz: [voiceover] The horror… the horror…
- Kurtz: I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That’s my dream. That’s my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight… razor… and surviving.
- Kilgore: You either surf or you fight.
- Kilgore: You smell that? Do you smell that?… Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning
- Travis Bickle: You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin’ to? You talkin’ to me? Well, I’m the only one here. Who do the fuck do you think you’re talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok.
- Travis Bickle: All the animals come out at night – whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal. Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.
- Travis Bickle: Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There’s no escape. I’m God’s lonely man.
- Travis Bickle: Each night when I return the cab to the garage, I have to clean the cum off the back seat. Some nights, I clean off the blood.
- Man with Knife: You’re a very nosy fellow, kitty cat. Huh? You know what happens to nosy fellows? Huh? No? Wanna guess? Huh? No? Okay. They lose their noses.
- Evelyn Mulwray: I don’t get tough with anyone, Mr. Gittes. My lawyer does
- Walsh: Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.
- Evelyn Mulwray: My sister, my daughter.
- Maggie Fitzgerald: I saw your last fight Shawrelle. You spent so much face time on the canvas, it looked like you thought the canvas was a pair of titties. (Million dollar baby)
- Alex: Well, well, well! Well if it isn’t fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarble, ya eunuch jelly thou!
- Alex: You needn’t take it any further, sir. You’ve proved to me that all this ultraviolence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I’ve learned me lesson, sir. I’ve seen now what I’ve never seen before. I’m cured! Praise god!
- Alex: I woke up. The pain and sickness all over me like an animal. Then I realized what it was. The music coming up from the floor was our old friend, Ludwig Van, and the dreaded Ninth Symphony.
- Jake La Motta: [talking about Janiro] Yeah, he’s a nice kid, pretty kid, don’t know whether to fuck him or fight him.
- Jake La Motta: I’m da boss, I’m da boss, I’m da boss, I’m da boss, I’m da boss… I’m da boss, I’m da boss, I’m da boss, I’m da boss, I’m da boss, I’m da boss.
- Delbert Grady: No sir, YOU are the caretaker. You’ve always been the caretaker. I ought to know: I’ve always been here.
- Jack Torrance: Darling. Light, of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. You didn’t let me finish my sentence. I said, I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just gonna bash your brains in. I’m gonna bash ’em right the fuck in. Ha, ha.
- Jack Torrance: HERE’S JOHNNY.
- Danny Torrance: [as Tony] Danny isn’t here, Mrs. Torrance.
- Dick Hallorann: Nothin’. There ain’t nothin’ in Room 237. But you ain’t got no business goin’ in there anyway. So stay out. You understand? Stay out
- Delbert Grady: Indeed he is, Mr. Torrance. A very willful boy. A rather naughty boy, if I may be so bold, sir.
- Jack Torrance: I like you, Lloyd. I always liked you. You were always the best of them. Best goddamned bartender from Timbuktu to Portland, Maine. Or Portland, Oregon, for that matter.
- Terry: You don’t understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let’s face it. It was you, Charley.
- Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac’s a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.
- Vincent: That’s a pretty fucking good milkshake. I don’t know if it’s worth five dollars but it’s pretty fucking good.
- Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL
- HAL: I’m afraid. I’m afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I’m a… fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you’d like to hear it I can sing it for you.
Dave Bowman: Yes, I’d like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.
HAL: It’s called "Daisy."
- William Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you’ll live… at least for a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin’ to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take… OUR FREEDOM!
- William Wallace: Every man dies, not every man really lives.
- Marge Gunderson: And I guess that was your accomplice in the woodchipper
- Batty: Quite an experience to live in fear, isn’t it? That’s what it is to be a slave. (Blade Runner)
- Leon: Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch!
- Private Cowboy: Don’t shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn’t shit you. You’re my favorite turd!
- Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Who said that? Who the fuck said that? Who’s the slimy little communist shit, twinkle-toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy fucking godmother said it. Out-fucking-standing. I will PT you all until you fucking die. I’ll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk.
- Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You little scumbag! I got your name, I got your ass! You will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you! Now get up off your face! Pvt. Joker you better unfuck yourself before I unscrew your head and shit down your neck!
- Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: It is not the bullet that kills, it is the hard heart! Harden your hearts!
- Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I bet you’re the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound.
- Door Gunner: Anyone who runs is a V.C.! Anyone who stands still… is a well-disciplined V.C.!
- Da Nang Hooker: Hey, you got girlfriend Vietnam? Me so horny. Me love you long time.
- Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog shit. Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don’t look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?
- Private Joker: Sir, it is the private’s duty to inform the senior drill instructor that Private Pyle has a full magazine that is locked and loaded, Sir!
- Rufus T. Firefly: Remember, you’re fighting for this woman’s honour, which is probably more than she ever did. (Duck Soup 1933)
- Chicolini: Now I aska you one. What has a trunk, but no key, weighs 2,000 pounds and lives in a circus?
Prosecutor: That’s irrelevant.
Chicolini: Irrelephant? Hey, that’sa that answer. There’s a whole lot of irrelephants in the circus.
- Prosecutor: Something must be done! War would mean a prohibitive increase in our taxes.
Chicolini: Hey, I got an uncle lives in Taxes.
Prosecutor: No, I’m talking about taxes – money, dollars!
Chicolini: Dollars! There’s-a where my uncle lives! Dollars, Taxes!
- First Judge: That sort of testimony we can eliminate.
Chicolini: Atsa fine. I’ll take some.
First Judge: You’ll take what?
Chicolini: Eliminate. A nice, cold glass eliminate.
- Benjamin: Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me.
- Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
- Senior Ed Bloom: There’s a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost… the ship has sailed and only a fool would continue. Truth is… I’ve always been a fool. (Big Fish)
- Young Ed Bloom: There are some fish that cannot be caught. It’s not that they’re faster or stronger than other fish, they’re touched by something extra.
- Young Ed Bloom: Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you’re not too big? Maybe this place is just too small?
- Will Bloom: You become what you always were – a very big fish.
- Spartacus: And maybe there’s no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don’t know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.
- Gracchus: You and I have a tendency towards corpulence. Corpulence makes a man reasonable, pleasant and phlegmatic. Have you noticed the nastiest of tyrants are invariably thin?
- Antoninus: I’m Spartacus!
- Helen: Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
- Klaatu: I came here to give you these facts. It is no concern of ours how you run your own planet. But if threaten to extend your violence, this Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder.
- Walter Sobchak: Shut the fuck up, Donny.
- Nihilist #3: I fuck you in the ass, I fuck you in the ass, I fuck you, I fuck you, I fuck you, I fuck…
- The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don’t know about you but I take comfort in that. It’s good knowin’ he’s out there. The Dude. Takin’ ‘er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals.
- The Dude: Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You’re Mr. Lebowski. I’m the Dude. So that’s what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing.